This refreshing vegan pho is made with lemongrass and ginger. I have mushrooms listed as an ingredient, but if you are a mushroom hater like me, feel free to skip them. I usually add them to my hubby’s bowl. Don’t skip the lemongrass though! It adds an amazing flavor to this lemongrass pho and is a great source of manganese.
Main ingredients in this pho recipe.
- Lemongrass has a distinct citrus flavor containing vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and folate.
- Ginger – This pairs great with lemongrass.
- Rice Noodles – You can’t have vegan pho without noodles.
- Onion – There are few savory recipes in which I don’t include onions.
- Mushrooms are a great source of protein.
- Jalapeño – Adds a little kick to this delicious lemongrass pho.
I would like to acknowledge that lemongrass is not traditionally used in pho. I made this while playing around with different ingredients. Since I’m a fan of lemongrass I added some to this recipe.Print
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Vegan lemongrass pho that is easy to make and packed with flavor.
- 8 cups water + vegetable bouillon
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & sliced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 4+ shitake mushrooms, sliced (depends how much you like mushrooms)
- 3 stalks green onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño, sliced
- 1/2 inch ginger, peeled & sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, sliced lengthwise
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 8oz thick rice noodles (Make it as noodle-y as you like!)
- Heat oil and yellow onion slices and cook until slices are semi-translucent.
- Add water and bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and add garlic, ginger, lemongrass, salt, lime juice, jalapeño, and mushrooms.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add green onions and rice noodles and turn off the heat.
- Serve once noodles are soft.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Soup, Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
Keywords: pho, lemongrass pho, easy pho recipe, vegan pho recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Raepublic!
Pho-real!? (See what I did there?) I’ve always been intimidated to try making Asian dishes but this was more straight-forward than I expected and was delicious too.
I’m so glad you found this recipe easy to make and tasty. It’s one of my favorites.
Just made this for supper and it was amazing! Definitely put it in my favorite recipe folder.
Just made this with a little extra ginger and homemade stock in place of water and bullion. so good and easy.
So glad you liked it Katerine! I love to add more ginger but assume most people won’t like it.
Also looks like bean sprouts? Looks delicious.
Like you, I have had trouble finding good, truly vegan recipes. Lots of crap out there.
Yes, I topped it with bean sprouts too. 👍🏼
Is that Cilantro in there?
Yup! I love adding cilantro on top (guess I could add it to optional toppings in the recipe). 😊