Hearty vegan lentil soup for the win! This easy recipe for lentil soup is packed with healthy plant-based protein, and its fiber game is on point. It’s hands-down my favorite soup for when I’m really in the mood for comfort food. Have you ever made veggie lentil soup? If not, now is the time to make it.
Table of contents
This post contains affiliate links.
About This Recipe
I was visiting friends in Pullman, Washington, USA when I found out that the Palouse (the surrounding area) is apparently the lentil capital of the world. Every year the National Lentil Festival is held in Pullman. Who would have thought? After learning this I wanted to make some lentil recipes and this was one of them. Little did I know that it would become my favorite soup and my most requested recipe by family and friends.
Is Lentil Soup Healthy?
One cup of brown lentils contains 12 grams of protein and is packed with fiber, potassium, and iron. In addition to the lentils, this veggie lentil soup contains onion, garlic, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, yellow summer squash, and spinach. So this veg lentil soup is packed with nutrients! Woohoo!
Just one serving (one and a half cups or 237 milliliters) contains 11.5 grams of protein (23% of one’s daily needs). When it comes to your daily needs of vitamins and minerals, this vegan lentil soup contains 52% of your daily vitamin A, 30% of iron, 32% of vitamin B6, 220% of vitamin K, 32% of vitamin C, and 62% of your daily needs of folic acid. Talk about a nutrient-dense vegan soup!
Here are the main ingredients in this vegan lentil soup and some substitution ideas:
Onion + Garlic – These two ingredients are sautéed first with half of a cup of water. (This lentil soup recipe is oil-free.)
Lentils – The heart of this soup is the brown lentils. They make this soup hearty and filling and a good source of protein.
Carrots – Carrots are the perfect addition to this soup because they add a little sweetness to your bowl. They also add a good amount of vitamins A, K, and B6.
Potatoes – Who doesn’t love potatoes? I add them to any recipe I can. I feel like they add warmth and fullness to this vegan soup recipe. Technically, potatoes are a complete protein on their own but you would have to eat several of them to really achieve this.
Yellow Summer Squash – I am a big fan of yellow summer squash but if you don’t have any on hand, zucchini would work just the same.
Tomatoes – Tomatoes make for a great base for many soups including this vegan lentil soup.
Spinach – This leafy green is my go-to choice for cooking. We always have it on hand. If you like kale, collard, or chard better, go for it. These would all taste great too.
How to Make Vegan Lentil Soup
- Prepare all the veggies.
- Add the minced garlic and diced onions to a large pot with 1/2 cup of water and cook until semi-translucent.
- Pour in 10 cups of water and add the vegetable bouillon, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, yellow summer squash, and lentils into the pot and turn to boil.
- Stir in all the spices and herbs.
- Once it starts to boil, turn down and let simmer for 20 minutes (or until potatoes, lentils, and carrots are cooked through).
- Towards the end of the 20 minute simmer time, stir in the spinach. It cooks quickly and you don’t want to over cook it.
This veggie lentil soup calls for carrots, yellow summer squash, onions, potatoes, and spinach. I have also made this soup with zucchini and green beans. This vegan lentil soup is very versatile. As a result, I would feel comfortable using any veggies I have on hand.
This vegan lentil soup calls for brown lentils but green would work well too. I don’t recommend red lentils because they get too soft too quickly.
Spinach is my go-to because we always have it on hand. That being said any hearty leafy green will work great. Just make sure to add it towards the end of the soup-making process because overcooking them can cause unwanted bitterness. Leafy greens that are good in soups include kale, collards, chard, dandelion, and spinach.
I have tried many different veggie bouillons and broths over the years to find the one that I thought was best. That being said, you can of course use a different brand but it can impact the taste of the soup. If you choose to use a different brand of veggie broth of bouillon I would suggest getting one with no added salt or at least low sodium. Regardless, taste the soup before adding any additional salt and adjust accordingly.
Another great option would be to use a homemade veggie broth recipe.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
I hope you LOVE this veg lentil soup! It’s:
& Nutrient packed!
If you try this lentil soup recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and remember to take a pic and tag it #raepublic on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, lovely!
Hearty Vegan Lentil Soup
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 Servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Heart vegan lentil soup recipe that feels like a hug on a chilly Autumn day. This recipe for lentil soup is made with brown lentils, so it is packed with plant-based protein and is loaded with fiber, perfect for keeping you full, longer.
- 8 1/2 cups water + vegetable bouillon
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 14–ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 6 carrots, thinly sliced
- 5 red potatoes, chopped into small cubes
- 1 yellow summer squash, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- a handful of spinach (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- Sautée: Add the minced garlic and diced onions to a large pot with 1/2 cup of water and cook until semi-translucent.
- Add: Pour in 10 cups of water and add the vegetable bouillon, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, yellow summer squash, lentils, and all spices, and herbs into the pot and turn to boil.
- Simmer: Once it starts to boil, turn down and let simmer for 20 minutes (or until potatoes, lentils, and carrots are cooked through).
- Add: Towards the end of the 20 minute simmer time, stir in the spinach.
- Make sure to add the spinach at the end. It cooks quickly and overcooking it can cause it to turn bitter.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy vegan soup recipe, easy lentil soup, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through those links at no extra cost to you. Please read our full disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Raepublic.
This soup is so filling and comforting. I will definitely make it again.
Yay! Glad you liked it.