The creamiest plant-based potato leek soup to rule the world! Well, maybe not the world, but it certainly rules my taste buds! Made with coconut milk, this soup is creamy and dairy-free at the same time. This vegan recipe makes enough for dinner and leftovers to enjoy later. Did you know that leeks are part of the Alliaceae family of bulbous plants, along with onion, garlic, shallots, etc.? However, unlike its fellow family members, leeks do not form bulbs underground. Fun fact, huh?
PREP TIME: 15m | COOK TIME: 30m | TOTAL: 45m | YIELD: 8 – 10 SERVINGS
This creamy vegan soup is excellent paired with this vegan Artisan Garlic Loaf.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 6 cups of water + vegetable bouillon
- 5 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 13.6 ounce can organic coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large pot, then add onion and garlic and sauté until onions are almost semi-translucent.
- Add leeks and cook for another 3 – 5 minutes or until the onions are semi-translucent.
- Pour water and bouillon into pot and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and simmer until soft.
- Turn off heat and blend with a hand mixer or pour into your blender. (Be careful, it’s HOT!) You can make it as creamy or as chunky as you like.
- Pour back into pot (if you used a blender) and add remaining ingredients.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Eat it.