For a healthy breakfast, start the day with this easy recipe for creamy oats. Old-fashioned rolled oats and a bit of milk are all it takes to get the creamiest oatmeal you’ll ever have. It’s my personal favorite way to kick off my morning routine. Let me show you how to make this simple recipe to give you the best creamy oatmeal base that you can pile up with your favorite toppings! The best part, it’s ready in just 5 minutes, and you won’t even dirty a pot.
This post contains affiliate links.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy: The cook time for this creamy oatmeal recipe is literally seconds when you use the microwave. Then in minutes, your instant oats turn into the perfect delicious breakfast.
- Creamy texture: If you hate lumpy and dry oatmeal, then this will turn you into the biggest fan of this healthy breakfast staple.
- Customizable: This creamy oatmeal can be topped with your favorite toppings like peanut butter, dry fruit, or fresh fruit to give it new flavors every time.
How Much Oatmeal Is In One Serving?
Half a cup of quick-cooking oats, old-fashioned oats, or steel-cut oats is the proper measurement when you want to make one serving of oatmeal. (This recipe specifically calls for rolled oats.) If you want to make a bigger batch for the family, you’ll need to increase it, along with the measurements for the other ingredients.
Ingredients + Notes
This easy recipe will truly give you the best oatmeal. You only need 4 simple ingredients that you’ve likely already got on hand in your kitchen and just a short amount of time until a healthy breakfast is served!
- Rolled Oats: Rolled oats are the best kind to get the creamiest oatmeal. With my quick cooking recipe, you’ll have that perfect texture that oatmeal was destined to have.
- Oat Milk: To help make your oatmeal creamy and dreamy, use oat milk. It only takes a bit of milk to get it just right.
- Maple Syrup: I’m not a fan of adding refined sugar to anything, so I use maple syrup. It’s got that naturally sweet taste to liven up the oats.
- Salt: Just a pinch of salt is key for balance to your creamy oatmeal.
You’ll love this easy recipe because it takes only seconds to prepare in the microwave. You can also use the stove if you prefer, but either way, you’re only minutes away from the creamiest oatmeal you’ve ever had.
1. Pour the oat milk into a microwave-safe mug and microwave for 30-60 seconds. (Alternatively, you can heat the oat milk on the stove in a small saucepan until it just starts to simmer.)
2. Add rolled oats, maple syrup, and salt to a small bowl (cereal bowl size) and pour hot oat milk over top.
3. Let sit for 3-5 minutes until the oats have soaked up most of the liquid. (Because this recipe is made with heated milk, the oats will soak up a lot of liquid, but not all of it.)
4. Stir oatmeal and add your favorite toppings!
Creamy Oatmeal Recipe Video
Whether you’re out of one of the listed ingredients or want to replace something for another reason, you can still create this creamy oatmeal recipe. These substitution suggestions will help you achieve oatmeal perfection.
- Sweeteners: If you don’t have maple syrup, you can use monk fruit sweetener, stevia, or even brown sugar. For non-vegans, honey would work too.
- Milk Alternatives: Any milk you choose will work here. That could be coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk, half milk of oat milk, and almond milk. With that said, if you choose a different milk option from oat milk, you may feel the need to add more sweetener to this healthy oatmeal recipe because oat milk is naturally very sweet. (So, based on your personal preference, add more or less sweetener.)
- Vanilla Extract: Adding vanilla extract is always an excellent way to make oatmeal taste amazing. It has such warmth to it and gives it that sweet taste that will have you eating every last bit.
- Oats: For this recipe, there are two types of oats you can use. I recommend you stick to whole-grain rolled oats. If you don’t have old-fashioned oats on hand, then quick oats will work just fine. Steel-cut oats will not work for this recipe. Only quick-cooking oats should be used.
Creamy Oatmeal Topping Ideas
Add some of your favorite toppings of choice to make your creamiest oatmeal even better!
- Nut butter: Peanut butter, seed butter, or another nut butter will add more flavor and healthy fat to your breakfast.
- Fruit: Whether you use dry fruit or fresh fruits, you can add a sweet taste and more nutrition.
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds or any seeds you have will give your oatmeal a nice crunchy texture on top of the creamy stuff below.
- Cinnamon: Grate some fresh cinnamon sticks to add a burst of warming spice to this oatmeal recipe.
I recommend making this creamy oatmeal in small batches because it tastes the best this way. Plus, it’s so easy to make in minutes that you can always whip it up with ease. But if you have any remaining, here’s what to do!
This oatmeal will keep in your fridge for about 5 days if you store it in an airtight container. Again, it’s just so simple to make on the spot, but if any is left, you won’t have to let it go to waste.
You can also freeze oatmeal, though if you’re going this route, I recommend putting it into portions. This way, it’s easy to reheat and serve. Packaged properly, your oatmeal can last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Make sure you’re using enough liquid. It takes a good bit of milk to render oatmeal to a creamy and dreamy texture.
Absolutely! Oats are brimming with nutrients that your body needs. They have complex carbs, protein, and fiber that all serve to fill you up, making it an ideal way to kick off your morning routine.
Oatmeal tastes better with milk, and it becomes creamier too. You can use any kind of non-dairy milk you like to make this recipe.
If you simply were to add water or oat milk to your oatmeal, it wouldn’t have much flavor. You should add a natural sweetener like maple syrup and a pinch of salt at the bare minimum. You can also top oatmeal with a wide variety of things, from fruits to granola and nut butters to seeds, to give it a new flavor every day.
More Healthy Oatmeal Recipes
- Easy Chia Seed Oatmeal
- Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Recipe
- Healthy Strawberry Oatmeal Recipe
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal
- Classic Oatmeal For One
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Easy Pumpkin Oatmeal Recipe
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 3/4 cup of steaming oat milk
- 1/2+ teaspoon maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Pour the oat milk into a microwave-safe mug and microwave for 30-60 seconds. (Alternatively, you can heat the oat milk on the stove in a small saucepan until it just starts to simmer.)
- Add rolled oats, maple syrup, and salt to a bowl and pour hot oat milk over top.
- Let sit for 3-5 minutes until the oats have soaked up most of the liquid.
- Stir oatmeal and add your favorite toppings!
Here are more tasty vegan breakfast recipes.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through those links at no extra cost to you. Please read our full disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Raepublic.