Fresh apples and ground cinnamon unite to help you create the most delicious breakfast recipe. If you love apple pie, you’ll love this healthy apple cinnamon oatmeal. It’s a great recipe to make when you need something sweet to start your day. It’s certainly going to be one of your favorite oatmeal recipes!
This post contains affiliate links.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Healthy: Oatmeal fans know how good for you it is, and with the warm spices of anti-inflammatory cinnamon thrown in, plus apples, it’s a great way to take care of your health.
- Delicious: This perfect fall breakfast has all those apple pie flavors you love, made that way with natural sweetness.
- Easy: This apple cinnamon oatmeal is a great option when you’re pressed for time or just too groggy in the morning to know which end is up. It only takes a few minutes to make, and the rewards are scrumptious!
Ingredients + Notes
You only need a few ingredients to make this simple recipe. If they’re not already in your kitchen, they’re easy to find at your local grocery store.
- Rolled Oats: Rolled oats are what I use for a recipe like this. This makes the recipe go faster and puts your healthy breakfast on the table in no time.
- Oat Milk: For a creamy texture, my go-to plant-based milk is oat milk. It also makes the flavors more indulgent.
- Maple Syrup: Pure maple syrup is the way to add a touch of sweetness without adding refined sugar and ruining your healthy vibes.
- Salt: Only a pinch of salt is needed to elevate the sweet flavors of the apples and cinnamon.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon is what makes the apples taste like indulgent cinnamon apples, making it a perfect addition to your oatmeal bowl.
- Apple: Fresh apples are always easy to find, whether it’s apple season or not, and are the star of this recipe! Granny Smith apples work great, though any type of sweet apples you like will be yummy!
Step-by-step Instructions: Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Recipe
If you have a few minutes, you have no excuses for skipping breakfast or eating something unhealthy. Once you taste this apple cinnamon oatmeal, you’ll be hooked on healthy eating!
1. Boil water in a stovetop teapot or an electric tea kettle.
2. Prepare the apple:
- Take half of the apple and chop it into chunks. Place apple chunks in the bottom of your oatmeal bowl and muddle until you have a homemade applesauce of sorts. (If you don’t have a muddle, you could mince the apple with a sharp knife. Alternatively, you could use an immersion blender to puree the apple.)
- Take the other half of the apple and cut it into thin slices. Then cut those thin slices in half. Set these aside for topping.
3. Add the rolled oats, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt to your oatmeal bowl and pour hot water over the top.
4. Let sit for 5 minutes (until the oats have soaked up most of the water).
5. Add sliced apple on top, along with any other toppings you like!
Full Apple Cinnamon Recipe Video
This apple oatmeal recipe has only a few ingredients. But if you’re out of something or want to make a swap, here’s how you can make some changes to your best bowl of oatmeal.
- Sweeteners: In my recipes, I always use wholesome ingredients to balance good health and great taste. If you don’t have pure maple syrup, try a little brown sugar, monk fruit sweetener, or stevia.
- Non-Dairy Milk Alternatives: If you’re not an oat milk person, go for almond milk, coconut milk, or any other plant-based milk. Warmed apple juice is another way to go, though if you have none of these things, boiling water always works.
- Vanilla Extract: Make your apple cinnamon oatmeal even more warm and satisfying for a cold morning by adding vanilla extract
- Oats: Old-fashioned oats, which are the same as rolled oats, are my favorite and ideal for this recipe. Quick cooking or instant oats will also work. Don’t use steel-cut oats, though, as they won’t work.
- Apple Pie Spice: You can add this spice instead of cinnamon if you prefer!
Recipe Topping Ideas For Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Make your apple cinnamon oatmeal more indulgent. Adding toppings is a great way to entice your taste buds and encourage you to dig into this healthy breakfast!
- Fresh Apples: Chop up more fresh apples and add them on top of your oatmeal.
- Seeds: Try chia seeds or flax seeds for more of a crunchy texture.
- Maple Syrup: Go with a drizzle over the top of everything to tie it all in with a swirl of sweetness.
- Nut Butter: Adding nut butters will give this a nutty twist that you’ll really love!
- Apple Crumble: Fancy this recipe up with an apple crumble top!
Save your leftovers for baked oatmeal recipes or for later in the day. You’ll be happier making a fresh batch to eat for breakfast, but if you don’t want anything to go to waste, here’s how to store it.
Be sure to use an airtight container for your healthy apple cinnamon oatmeal. It will keep for about 5 days in the fridge this way.
Frozen, you can save this oatmeal recipe for your meal prep or baking. You’ll want to keep it airtight and then use it before it’s been 3 months.
Yes, apple cinnamon oatmeal is good for you. Oats have fiber, protein, and complex carbs to fuel your body, while cinnamon fights inflammation. And of course, everyone knows what they say about eating an apple a day. On top of that, this combination tastes amazing!
Since cinnamon is a known anti-inflammatory and has antioxidants, it is known for helping with heart health. Plus, it adds a sweet flavor without using any sugar.
Yes, this is a nutritious form of oatmeal because it has soluble fiber from the oats and apples. That helps you feel nice and full and goes a long way toward healthy cholesterol levels too.
Oatmeal is definitely one of those foods you can feel no guilt about eating for breakfast each day. Making my oatmeal recipes ensures that you won’t be adding refined sugar or unhealthy options, all while getting flavors that taste indulgent.
More Easy Oatmeal Recipes
- Easy Chia Seed Oatmeal Recipe
- Easy Chocolate Oatmeal
- Healthy Strawberry Oatmeal Recipe
- Creamy Oatmeal Recipe
- Classic Oatmeal For One
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Easy Peanut Butter Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Oatmeal
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal
Easy Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1+ teaspoon maple syrup
- Pinch salt
- ¼+ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium apple, cut in half (remove stem/seeds/core).
- Boil water in a stovetop teapot or an electric tea kettle.
- Prepare the apple:Take half of the apple and chop it into chunks. Place apple chunks in the bottom of your oatmeal bowl and muddle until you have a homemade applesauce of sorts. (If you don’t have a muddle, you could mince the apple with a sharp knife. Alternatively, you could use an immersion blender to puree the apple.)Take the other half of the apple and cut it into thin slices. Then cut those thin slices in half. Set these aside for topping.
- Add the rolled oats, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt to your oatmeal bowl and pour hot water over the top.
- Let sit for 5 minutes (until the oats have soaked up most of the water).
- Add sliced apple on top, along with any other toppings you like!
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through those links at no extra cost to you. Please read our full disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Raepublic.