Creamy vegan potato soup, perfect for warming up your day. If you’re looking for new comfort food to try, this creamy, dairy-free soup is for you!
Table of contents
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you knot that potatoes are a good source of potassium, vitamin C, and plant-based protein?
How to Serve This Vegan Potato Soup
Serve this potato soup in your favorite deep soup bowls and top this vegan soup with any of the following ingredients to jazz things up a little:
- Sliced green onions
- Fresh dill
- A dusting of ground black pepper or chili flakes
- A drizzle of olive oil or coconut cream
- Crunchy croutons
- Oven-roasted cheesy chickpeas
- Brown rice or quinoa
- And of course a slice of bread!
Variations For This Easy Potato Soup Recipe
- Make it creamier with your favorite plant milk. Substitute ½ cup water for dairy-free milk, such as soy milk, oat milk, almond milk, or coconut milk.
- Add coconut cream for a thicker soup. Add 1 can of coconut milk (or just the top part of the can, which is the coconut cream to avoid adding excess water) to create a thick and creamy soup with a subtly coconutty undertone.
- Make it creamier by using an immersion blender. Use your hand blender for a few seconds to blend half of the soup if you prefer a less chunky consistency.
- Leave the peel on your potatoes. This will increase the fiber content of the soup and keep you fuller for longer. However, if you want a melt-in-the-mouth soup, you may prefer to peel the potatoes first.
What Variety Of Potato You Should Use
Believe it or not but some varieties of potatoes work best in certain dishes. Starchy potatoes, such as sweet potato, russet potatoes, red potatoes, or Yukon Gold potatoes, work best for mash and soup as they are fluffy, have a smooth texture, and hold their flavor when boiled.
Yukon Gold potatoes are my go-to as they have an almost butter-like flavor and work best for this creamy soup recipe.
How To Store This Potato Herb Soup
As this dairy-free potato soup recipe serves 8, you may find you have a few portions of leftovers. Simply leave it out to cool to room temperature, and then transfer your leftovers into an airtight container to store this potato soup. You can keep this container in the fridge for approximately 5 days. To reheat, add soup to a saucepan and heat on low-medium until piping hot.
Can This Vegan Soup With Potatoes Be Frozen?
Of course! This is a great recipe to freeze for cold winter evenings when you just can’t fathom the idea of spending any time after work cooking (gosh, I hate those dark winter evenings). Feel free to freeze leftovers or make a batch of this dairy-free potato soup specifically to reheat for a midweek evening meal.
Freeze the same way you would refrigerate the soup in an airtight container. Then, thaw overnight and heat on the stove. The frozen soup is safe to store in the fridge for about 2 months.
If you add coconut cream (as per the variation option for potato soup with coconut milk listed above), please add the coconut when you reheat the soup before eating and not before freezing.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
I hope you LOVE this carrot soup recipe! It’s:
& A big dill!
If you try this vegan potato soup recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and remember to take a pic and tag it #raepublic on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, lovely!
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This vegan potato soup is a classic. It is the perfect dairy-free soup for winter or spring for that matter. Coconut milk adds to the creaminess of this potato dill soup enticing you back for seconds.
- 4 1/2 cups water + vegetable bouillon
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups red or Yukon gold potatoes, cubed (Feel free to leave the peel on!)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoons dill
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooked great northern beans
- Sautée: In a large pot, sautée 1/2 cup water with onion and garlic and cook until onions are semi-translucent.
- Add remaining water, vegetable bouillon, potatoes, bay leaf, dill, smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt.
- Boil: Bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 10 minutes (until potatoes are soft enough to mash).
- Mash potatoes until desired consistency is reached. (If you want it super creamy, feel free to use an immersion blender.
- Add beans and stir thoroughly.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: potato soup, creamy potato soup, dairy-free soup, vegan potato soup
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through those links at no extra cost to you. Please read our full disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Raepublic.
ha! Sounded so good, thought i’d write that twice. 😉
Going to give this a try very soon! Looks delicious!
Going to give this a try very soon!