This perfect vegan pie crust is so simple to make that I wish I would have known about it ages ago. Coconut oil is the magic ingredient that brings everything together in this recipe, making a crust of delicious, flaky, melt-in-your-mouth goodness. This dairy-free crust is great for sweet or savory uses! You could use it for your favorite apple pie recipe and just as easily pair it with Jonny’s Veggie Pot Pie.
PREP TIME: 15m | BAKE TIME: 30m | TOTAL: 45m | YIELD: 1 FULL PIE CRUST
This vegan pie crust was adapted from minimalistbaker.com.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, solid
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 5 tablespoons ice cold water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add flour and salt in large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Scoop coconut oil into bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, blend until combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour in 5 tablespoons of ice water and stir thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Kneed dough with hands to form into a ball.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured surface and flatten out with your hands.
- Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut dough into the number of pieces required and set aside extra piece(s). (If you are making a standard 9″ pie then divide into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other to line the pie pan, the other for the top.)
- Sprinkle flour on top of the dough.
- Roll dough into a flat circle about 1/8 inch thick. (To prevent sticking, sprinkle more flour over dough as needed.)
- Line pie pan and fill with desired filling.
- Repeat step 10 for remaining piece(s) and place on top of pie.
- Bake for 30+ minutes (depending on filling).