Jon and I have been making these vegan potato waffles for years now. They are gluten-free and made without oil, so all can enjoy! This recipe for potato waffles makes for the perfect savory vegan breakfast. Crunchy on the outside, soft and moist on the inside.
Table of contents
How To Make Vegan Potato Waffles
- First, cook the potatoes, so they are nice and soft. When I’m in a hurry, I chop the potatoes up into cubes and microwave them. This recipe works great with baked potatoes as well, though, if that’s more your jam. If you choose to bake them instead, then leave them whole and poke some holes in them. Microwaving the potatoes takes about 10 minutes, whereas baking them takes about 50 minutes at 400°F/200°C.
- While the potatoes are baking, chop up one onion and zucchini and sauté them until soft. I usually sauté the veggies in half of a cup of water in lieu of using oil.
- Once your potatoes are cooked, put them in a bowl and mash them up using a potato masher.
- Next, you’ll add in the sautéed veggies, spices and stir until evenly dispersed.
- Finally, scoop the no flour mashed potato waffle mix into a waffle iron and cook until well done. I like this recipe for potato waffles to be nice and crispy, so I let it cook extra long.
Recipe Topping Ideas
These oil-free potato waffles are tasty on their own, but who doesn’t like toppings? They taste even more amazing with some homemade guacamole or pico de galo on top! What’s your favorite savory topping for no flour mashed potato waffles? How about some easy coconut bacon on top of freshly sliced avocado? Can you say drool-worthy?
More Vegan Breakfast Ideas
We hope you LOVE these vegan potato waffles! They’re:
& SO satisfying!
If you try these oil-free potato waffles, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and remember to take a picture and tag it #raepublic on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, lovely!
Vegan Potato Waffles
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Easy, vegan potato waffles that are gluten-free and oil-free. This recipe for potato waffles is filling and comforting, making for the perfect savory vegan breakfast.
- 3 pounds of red potatoes (about 7 cups chopped)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 zucchini, cut length-wise, and then chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prepare: Chop potatoes into cubes and place them into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cook: Add a fourth of a cup of water to the bowl and microwave for 10 minutes.
- Chop: While the potatoes are baking, chop up the onion and zucchini and sauté them in 1/4 cup of water (or more) until the onion is translucent and the zucchini is soft.
- Mash: Once your potatoes are cooked, put them in a bowl and mash them up using a potato masher.
- Combine: Add the sautéed veggies, garlic, chives, salt, and pepper to the bowl and stir until evenly dispersed.
- Cook: Scoop potato mix into a waffle iron and cook until well done. I like mine extra crispy, so I let it cook extra long.
- If you enjoy these vegan potato waffles along with some plant-based breakfast side dishes, this recipe makes 6-8 servings. However, if you enjoy this recipe as a meal on its own as we do, it feeds 2-4 people.
- If you don’t have red potatoes on hand, any type will do.
- If you would like to bake the potatoes instead of microwave them, you don’t need to chop them up ahead of time. Just poke some holes in them using a fork and bake for about 50 minutes at 400°F/200°C. If you decide to bake them, you may want to add a tablespoon or so of water to the mashed potatoes mix, so they aren’t too dry.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Breakfast, Main
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: French Inspired
Keywords: vegan potato waffles, gluten-free potato waffles, oil-free potato waffles, crispy potato waffles
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through those links at no extra cost to you. Please read our full disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Raepublic.
Yessss these vegan potato waffles are the best vegan breakfast!