Look out, taste buds! This vegan red dahl is absolutely AMAZING and is hands-down my favorite plant-based recipe I’ve created. It’s gluten-free as well, so everyone can enjoy this divine creation. Loaded with lentils, this vegan dhal is protein-packed and full of potassium, calcium and zinc. Mmm Mmm.Print
Creamy Vegan Dal
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 15 Cups 1x
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 1/2 cups lentils
- 2 cups water
- 4 red potatoes, cubed
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 14 ounce can coconut cream
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- In a large pot, heat oil, onion, garlic, and spices and cook until onions are semi-translucent.
- In a medium pot, add water and potato chunks and bring to a boil, then let simmer until soft. (The water line should be a couple of inches above the potatoes, though they do have a tendency to float around like little icebergs!)
- In a medium pot, add water and lentils. (The water line should be a couple of inches above the lentils.)
- Cook lentils for roughly 7-10 minutes. (It’s better if they are slightly undercooked because they’ll keep cooking a bit later in the sauce.)
- Add coconut milk and crushed tomatoes to medium pot and stir thoroughly.
- Drain potatoes and lentils and add them to the medium pot and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy the little vacation that is about to take place in your mouth!
Some people eat this vegan dish like a soup, but I personally love it served over rice. Also, if you are looking for something that is a little ‘lighter’ try this plant-based Light Red Dhal.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian Inspired
Keywords: vegan dal, vegan entrée
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through those links at no extra cost to you. Please read our full disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Raepublic.
This not only tastes AMAZING but it is so filling that you do not need anything else with this! It is a meal all in its own!!! LOVE
Slurrrrp! I’m so glad you liked this recipe!