Look out, taste buds! This vegan red dahl is absolutely AMAZING and is hands-down my favorite plant-based recipe I’ve created. It’s gluten-free as well, so everyone can enjoy this divine creation. Loaded with lentils, this vegan dhal is protein-packed and full of potassium, calcium and zinc. Mmm Mmm.
Creamy Vegan Dal
- 2 1/2 cups lentils
- 2 cups water
- 4 red potatoes, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 13.5 ounce coconut milk, can
- 1 14 ounce coconut cream, can
- 1 28 ounce crushed tomatoes, can
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- In a large pot, heat oil, onion, garlic, and spices and cook until onions are semi-translucent.
- In a medium pot, add water and potato chunks and bring to a boil, then let simmer until soft. (The water line should be a couple of inches above the potatoes, though they do have a tendency to float around like little icebergs!)
- In a medium pot, add water and lentils. (The water line should be a couple of inches above the lentils.)
- Cook lentils for roughly 7-10 minutes. (It’s better if they are slightly undercooked because they’ll keep cooking a bit later in the sauce.)
- Add coconut milk and crushed tomatoes to medium pot and stir thoroughly.
- Drain potatoes and lentils and add them to the medium pot and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy the little vacation that is about to take place in your mouth!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through those links at no extra cost to you. Please read our full disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Raepublic.