This, hands down is my favorite recipe I’ve ever made. I was actually saving it for my future cookbook, but when Le Creuset sent me this Sea Salt blue dutch oven and saucepan, I just had to make this recipe. The Sea Salt blue against the deep orange of the dal just speaks to me. This dairy-free tikka masala recipe is made with coconut milk, a great source of healthy plant-based fats. Also, lentils are packed with protein, fiber, and potassium.
This post contains affiliate links.
Creamy Vegan Tikka Masala
- 1.5 cups Yukon gold potatoes, washed + cubed
- 1 medium white onion, diced (+ 1 cup water)
- 1 14.5- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup red lentils, washed
- 1 13.5- ounce can coconut milk, full fat
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, loosely packed
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled + grated
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- additional freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Add 1 cup of water along with the onion, garlic, and ginger to a large pot (or in this case a dutch oven) and sauté until onions are semi-translucent.
- Pour contents of the pot as well as coconut milk, tomatoes, bell pepper, and 1/2 cup cilantro into a blender or food processor and blend on high until creamy.
- Pour back into pot and add in all remaining ingredients.
- Turn down to a simmer and let cook with lid on for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid, and continue to simmer until potatoes and lentils are soft.
- Enjoy with your favorite rice or naan.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through those links, at no extra cost to you. Please read our full disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Raepublic.