Easy, creamy tomato soup that is delightful and vegan all at the same time! Woohoo! This vegan soup recipe gets its delicious creaminess from coconut milk and packs just the right balance of herbs and spices. Did you know that tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C?Print
Vegan Tomato Soup
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 17 cups 1x
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes (with no added salt)
- 8 – 10 overripe vine tomatoes, washed
- 3 13–ounce cans of light coconut milk
- 2 cups water + vegetable bouillon
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch of cayenne
- Pour 1/4 cup water into a large pot and turn to medium heat.
- Add in onion, cover with a lid and turn to low heat for 3-5 minutes (until onions become soft). (This process pretty much steams the onions.)
- Remove lid, turn heat up to medium and cook for 2-3 additional minutes, constantly stirring. (The idea behind this is to sauté them after they have been steamed, thus removing the need for oil.)
- Once the onion has been steamed and then lightly sautéed, return to low heat and pour in the remaining water.
- Pour the contents of the large pot into the blender and blend on high for roughly 20 seconds (until everything is well combined and no large pieces remain). Then, pour contents back into the pot.
- Add vine tomatoes into the blender, blend until pureed, and add to the large pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients into the pot and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make sure the fresh tomatoes you use are very ripe. This will help minimize the acidity of the soup.
- If the soup tastes sour once you make it, meaning that it is too acidic, start by adding 1 teaspoon baking soda to the pot and stir. It will bubble and fizz. Once you have stirred thoroughly and it has stopped bubbling, taste it again and if needed, add another teaspoon of baking soda to the pot and stir. Make sure not to taste the soup until all the bubbling stops; otherwise, the taste will not be true. Repeat until the acidity is neutralized.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: soup, main dish, appetizer
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: creamy tomato soup recipe, vegan tomato soup recipe, dairy-free creamy tomato soup recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through those links at no extra cost to you. Please read our full disclosure for more information. Thank you for supporting Raepublic.
This tomato soup recipe is bomb.