Easy, creamy tomato soup that is delightful and vegan all at the same time! Woohoo! This dairy-free soup gets its delicious creaminess from coconut milk and packs just the right balance of herbs and spices. Did you know that tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C?
PREP TIME: 15m | COOK TIME: 30m | TOTAL: 45m | YIELD: 14 – 16 SERVINGS
Make sure the fresh tomatoes you use are very ripe, this will help minimize the acidity of the soup.
If the soup tastes sour once you make it, meaning that it is too acidic, start by adding 1 teaspoon baking soda to the pot and stir. It will bubble and fizz, once you have stirred thoroughly and it has stopped bubbling, taste it again and if needed add another teaspoon of baking soda to the pot and stir. Make sure not to taste the soup until all the bubbling stops otherwise the taste will not be true. Feel free to repeat until the acidity is neutralized.
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes (with no added salt)
- 8 – 10 over ripe vine tomatoes, washed
- 3 13 ounce cans light coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 4 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch of cayenne
- Pour 1/4 cup water into large pot and turn to medium heat.
- Add in onion, cover with lid and turn to low heat for 3-5 minutes (until onions become soft). (This process pretty much steams the onions.)
- Remove lid, turn heat up to medium and cook for 2-3 additional minutes, constantly stirring. (The idea behind this is to sauté them after they have been steamed, thus removing the need for oil.)
- Once onion have been steamed and then lightly sautéed, return to low heat and pour in remaining water.
- Pour contents of the large pot into the blender and blend on high for roughly 20 seconds (until everything is well combined and no large pieces remain). Then, pour contents back into pot.
- Add vine tomatoes to blender, blend until pureed and add to large pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients into pot and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.