Easy, vegan potato waffles that are gluten-free and oil-free. This recipe for potato waffles is filling and comforting, making for the perfect savory vegan breakfast.
- 3 pounds of red potatoes (about 7 cups chopped)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 zucchini, cut length-wise, and then chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prepare: Chop potatoes into cubes and place them into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cook: Add a fourth of a cup of water to the bowl and microwave for 10 minutes.
- Chop: While the potatoes are baking, chop up the onion and zucchini and sauté them in 1/4 cup of water (or more) until the onion is translucent and the zucchini is soft.
- Mash: Once your potatoes are cooked, put them in a bowl and mash them up using a potato masher.
- Combine: Add the sautéed veggies, garlic, chives, salt, and pepper to the bowl and stir until evenly dispersed.
- Cook: Scoop potato mix into a waffle iron and cook until well done. I like mine extra crispy, so I let it cook extra long.
- If you enjoy these vegan potato waffles along with some plant-based breakfast side dishes, this recipe makes 6-8 servings. However, if you enjoy this recipe as a meal on its own as we do, it feeds 2-4 people.
- If you don’t have red potatoes on hand, any type will do.
- If you would like to bake the potatoes instead of microwave them, you don’t need to chop them up ahead of time. Just poke some holes in them using a fork and bake for about 50 minutes at 400°F/200°C. If you decide to bake them, you may want to add a tablespoon or so of water to the mashed potatoes mix, so they aren’t too dry.
- Category: Breakfast, Main
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: French Inspired
Keywords: vegan potato waffles, gluten-free potato waffles, oil-free potato waffles, crispy potato waffles