Deliciously fluffy vegan chocolate cupcakes that are oil-free and easy to make gluten-free. The fudgy frosting is a must and is as decadent as it gets.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Instant Raw Applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup canned coconut cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Combine thoroughly with a hand mixer, until smooth.
- Line muffin pan with liners.
- Pour batter into liners roughly filling them 3/4 full.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick, comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan warm coconut cream until melted.
- Turn off heat and add in chocolate chips, stir until melted and well combined.
- Remove from stove and let sit for roughly 20 – 40 minutes, until it cools and firms up a bit.
- Add in powdered sugar and thoroughly combine with a hand mixer.
- Continue to let cool and firm up more if necessary.
- Frost cupcakes! Nom Nom!
Store-bought applesauce works great for this recipe in place of the Instant Raw Applesauce. I would recommend unsweetened applesauce, though. If you have sweetened applesauce on hand, I would just be mindful of the sugar and adjust accordingly.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
Keywords: chocolate cupcakes, vegan chocolate cupcakes, oil-free cupcakes, egg-free cupcakes