- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups red lentils, cooked in 6 cups water
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Cook lentils in medium pot with water until they are soft (about 15 minutes).
- In a separate pot, heat olive oil and cook ginger, garlic and onion until onion is semi-translucent.
- Pour in water and add turmeric, coriander, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and add in cooked lentils.
- Let simmer for another 5 minutes to let spices soak into lentils and then serve over rice!
This plant-based dhal is light and delicious, if you are looking for something thicker and fuller try this vegan Creamy Red Dhal. Some people love to eat this plant-based dish as a soup, but I personally love it served over rice. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes