Your favorite flavors come together in this brown sugar cinnamon oatmeal recipe. Stop using those instant oatmeal packets that are loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients, and make this quick breakfast without even dirtying a pot!
- 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1+ teaspoon brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4+ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Boil water in an electric tea kettle or in a stovetop teapot.
- Combine old-fashioned oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl and pour hot water over the top.
- Let sit for 3-5 minutes until the oats have soaked up most of the water.
- Sprinkle additional cinnamon and brown sugar on top and any other toppings you like!
Recipe Topping Ideas
Add more on top of your oatmeal with these tasty topping ideas to change the texture!
Chocolate Chips: If you love sweet breakfasts, adding a few chocolate chips on top will certainly ensure you eat it all.
Chia Seeds: Chia seeds on top will stay a little crunchy, giving this homemade oatmeal a fun texture to enjoy.
Apples: Turn it into apple cinnamon oatmeal with fresh chopped apples on top.
Banana Slices: Bananas also have a creamy texture of their own and pair wonderfully with these brown sugar and cinnamon flavors.
All oatmeal tastes the best right when it’s made. But because it’s so filling, you might not be able to finish it. Here’s what to do about your leftover oatmeal.
Fridge: You’ll need to put your cooled leftover oatmeal into an airtight container first. It will last for up to 5 days, though the sooner you eat it, the better. If you’re not going to eat it, consider freezing it for meal prep or baking ideas.
Freeze: Cooked oatmeal can be frozen to use later in the week or up to 3 months from now. This is a great way to keep from wasting good food!
- Prep Time: 5
- Soak Time: 5
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Soak
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy vegan breakfast, quick cook oatmeal, gluten-free vegan breakfast